Despite the rain, over 200 people attended the official opening of the new hall on Saturday 19th August. The hall was opened by Mr Ralph Power of Water Street, Brindle – the son of one of the Institute founders back in 1923.
Ralph arrived in an unusual “carriage” – a fire engine complete with siren and flashing lights – much to the surprise of the awaiting guests including the Deputy Mayor of Chorley!
Speeches were made by Ralph Power, Hall Chairman Meg Burford with a response and a vote of thanks by Lindsay Hoyle, the MP for Chorley. The afternoon was hosted by vice-Chairman Steve Williams who paid tribute to Meg and to all of the people who contributed to the project over the past few years.
Brindle Band were in attendance, who played at the original opening 83 years and one day earlier on the 18th August 1923. The Horwich Morris Men also entertained, and the day was rounded off with a celebratory dance in the evening.
Ralph Power cuts the ribbon
Hall Chairman Meg Burford
Committee and chief guest Lord Chesham, 1923
Committee and chief guest Ralph Power, 2006
HALL CLOSUREIn light of the current public health crises regarding...