Brindle Historical Society Secretary, Steve Williams, recently acquired details and pictures of three members of the Hartley family who were instrumental in getting the original Brindle Parish Institute established back in 1923. We intend to add a feature about the Hartleys, who lived at Crabtree House in the village from 1912 until 1934, to the site shortly (it will also be on the Historical Society website).
In addition, details of Thomas Whitehead (the first President of the Institute) have emerged. He played cricket for Lancashire, appearing for them in the 1884 season. Mr. Whitehead lived at Brindle Lodge and was a Solicitor in Preston, as well as having business interests in coal. Interestingly, he also had a private railway halt on the Blackburn to Preston line, close to Hoghton Station, and the train stopped for him each morning so he could travel (First Class, of course) to his office the town.
HALL CLOSUREIn light of the current public health crises regarding...